There are various functions in order to attain objectives of trade unions. These are functions relating to:
- Industrial organizations
- Trade union organizations.
- Trade Union members
This classification is based on principles of interdependence between the industry, organization of union, members and society, each reinforcing and being reinforced by the other.
Functions relating to Industrial Organization
- To attain higher production quantitatively and qualitatively
- To maintain discipline inside industry
- Effective redressal of grievances and settlement of dissatisfaction and complaints.
- To develop positive attitude of management towards trade unions and improve their status in industry
- To prevent unfair labour practices in industry.
- To share profits with employees.
- To enforce employer regarding implementation of statutory provisions beneficial to employees.
- To encourage cordial relations between employee and management by settlement of disputes through collective bargaining, joint agreements and voluntary arbitration and by avoiding third party intervention.
Functions relating to Trade Union organizations
- Training of members regarding effective leadership.
- To facilitate communication between trade unions and its members
- To prevent inter union rivalry and maintaining integrity of trade union movement.
- To create plans and policies in consonance with those of industrial organization and society at large.
- To maintain industrial democracy.
- To eradicate various social evils from industry for example castism, linguisim and regionalism from workplace
- To prevent unfair labour practices
- To prevent trade union from exploitation of personal and political interest
- To prepare and maintain necessary records regarding meetings and other activities of trade unions
- Scientific management of trade unions
Functions relating to Trade Union members
- Settlement of disputes through negotiations, joint consultation and voluntary arbitration
- To raise social status of trade union member within industrial organization and society as a whole.
- To safeguard employees interest against all sort of exploitation by employers, by trade union members and by political parties.
- To create awareness among workers regarding their rights and duties.
- To ensure improved standard of living by providing various social services like health measures, housing facilities, education facilities, recreation facilities, co-operative societies etc.
- To provide effective redressal of grievances and complaints of workers dissatisfaction.
- To encourage workers participation in management.
- To ensure safe and hygienic working conditions
Functions relating to Society
- To develop positive public opinion regarding trade unions which will lead to their improved social status.
- To encourage public regarding government plans and policies and to mobilize peoples participation for their effective implementation in society at large
- To encourage prevention of social evils like nepotism, communalism, castiesm, regionalism, linguism, black marketing, sexual harassment etc.
- Participation in programs of national development like family planning, aforestation, financial assistance during natural disaster etc.